Some women prefer classic jewelry, gems, traditional styles. Others prefer more contemporary jewelry styles, perhaps ethnically influenced or created by a modern designer. Whatever she chooses, a woman knows that the jewelry she wears will accentuate her look and turn heads.
When buying jewelry, some of the terms employed by the dealer can be confusing. Do not let this deter you from your purchase. A simple lesson can help you read through the jargon.
Are you shopping for a ring? These jewelry settings are common when it comes to diamonds or other gemstones:
1. Baguette: rectangular-shaped
2. Barion cut: traditional step-cut
3. Bezel: the jewelry’s rim holds and completely surrounds the stone
4. Brilliant cut: reflect the most light from the stone; can be round, heart-shaped, oval, marquise, or pear-shaped
5. Cluster setting: this jewelry contains a large center stone surrounded by smaller stones
6. Emerald: rectangular- or square-shaped with cut corners
7. Marquise: double-pointed, boat-shaped stone
8. Pear: stones in the shape of a pear
9. Princess cut: square- or rectangular-shaped brilliant-cut stone
Jewelry comes in all shapes and also in sizes. When you are buying a gift of jewelry, it may help to take along an already-owned piece to compare sizes. For necklaces and bracelets, a jewelry dealer can give size or length suggestions depending on the style you select.
One shouldn’t spend a good deal of money on jewelry. Jewelry wholesalers offer quality items at lower price. Even some costume jewelry is quite beautiful and far more affordable than”the real thing.” The important thing about jewelry is making sure it suits the wearer’s taste. Accessories do not do much good if they just sit in the jewelry box.
Another factor to consider before buying jewelry for someone is whether she tends to wear more silver or gold-toned pieces. Some women combine the two; most prefer one or another. Finally, think about her lifestyle. Would she prefer simple jewelry or more elegant, dangling pieces?
Regardless of what jewelry you choose, this is a gift she’ll never forget.